Sunday, July 12, 2009

what do you do . . .

when there's nothing you can do?

Praying seems so . . . easy to offer and yet it certainly doesn't feel like it's really helping to ease the burden . . .

I drove to the airport yesterday evening to pick up a dear friend. She had flown here to be with her mother-in-law. Her FIL had just yesterday been placed in hospice care and . . . well, I just feel so helpless. Their journey is so hard ~ and there's no guarantee when God will hear their heart's desperate cry to release him from his pain & suffering. Saying goodbye is so very hard. How do you ever prepare yourself for this?

Platitudes are so easy to come by... yes, it's wonderful to know that he is headed for heaven and we are so very thankful for that, but it's hard to face and say the final farewell.

And so I sit here with tears welling up and I hardly know how to bear the pain...

but then I think of my dear friend and her family and realize that if it's this hard for me, it must be nearly unbearable for them. . .

and in my state of helplessness, I pray ~ for that is all I can do at this moment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Edith, I'm so sorry that you and your dear friend are in such a helpless-feeling situation, one of just waiting and praying. My prayer for you all is that you experience God's comforting, loving arms around you through your Christian friends and family. "Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy," Jesus tells us in John 16:22. Sending my warm hug across the miles, and keeping the prayers going upward to our good and loving Father.