Sunday, January 20, 2013

twists and turns...

that I just couldn't see coming up quite so quickly have resulted in a number of changes for me already this month.

To start.  I met with my spiritual director end of December. During our session it became evident to me that I had a choice to make. Well, it wasn't really a choice. It was more a matter of when will I make the decision that I knew I needed to make?  I spent the next few days in prayer and realized that I was ready. I typed up the letter and on my second day back at work after the New Year, my manager had a quiet office. I took advantage of that and slipped in to talk with her. At the end of that meeting, she had my letter of resignation in her hand and I had 10 days of work left.

What was so amazing in the course of our conversation was that she affirmed for me a few things.  One, this position was not really a "fit" for me. While she was grateful that I had given it my best effort, she saw that it really was not something that was working well for me. Secondly, she mentioned that she knew what kind of work would suit me well. When I asked her if she would share her thoughts with me, she was quick to tell me that I was best suited for something like grief counselling or walking with others, entering into those "deeper conversations".

My jaw dropped. This affirmation was such a confirmation for me. It is the kind of work that I have begun through fulfilling the requirements for my course in Soul Care - specifically, in offering Spiritual Direction to others.

Friday was my last day at the bank. I don't know what the future holds. For now, I believe that I am now where God wants me to be. The hardest part is to trust that He will continue to be present as I turn my attention to my course work and as I look for ways to do the work that use the gifts He has given me. I am sure that there will be more twists and turns along the way - I just hope that I will be able to trust that God has my hand in His and therefore I don't need to see the road ahead.


No comments: